Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Canada's East Coast - Nova Scotia






Every 3-4 months, I need to get away from the city.

At the end of my 4-month internship in August, we planned a 5 day get away to the East Coast of Canada - Nova Scotia. One of my friends at school is from Halifax in Nova Scotia. He often mentions that he hates NYC/Toronto, because there are way too many people in both these cities. I could never understand his comment until I saw the kind of life people lead in Nova Scotia.

Top 5 reasons to visit Nova Scotia:

1. People are extremely friendly - canadians in general are friendly people, but people from Nova Scotia are super friendly.

2. East Coast is extremely scenic - we drove around Cape Breton National Highlands Park and Bay of Fundy. It was very pristine and the government has done an excellent job in preserving the natural beauty.

3. Atlantic Salmon tastes different and yummy.

4. Bright colors make everything in the province much brighter - I was most fascinated by the colors of boats, storage places, and houses there - bright green, red, and yellows.

5. Nature plays tricks - around Bay of Fundy, when the tide is low, you can actually walk on the ocean floor! when the tide is high, the water looks quite scary and angry. On one of the beaches, water was jet-black in color!

There was so much to explore around the East Coast - I felt content, happy, and relaxed while I was there.

We took the subway back to our place when we entered Toronto. I can confidently say that I had a cultural shock - the number of people living in Nova Scotia is probably less than the number of people who take Toronto's subway every morning!

Well, and I completely understand what Trevor means when he makes a face and says," I hate NYC - there are way too many people in that city".

No comments: